"The entire staff is made up of true healthcare professionals. If you were to look up compassion in the dictionary, their pictures would be there". Statement made by SMH patient.
When St. Mary's at Amsterdam first opened its doors on April 19, 1903, the hospital had 11 employees, 20 beds and a deep-seated resolve to provide all members of the community with the finest in medical care and the utmost in compassion. More than a century later, St. Mary's has over 1,000 staff, 143 beds, four family health centers, a comprehensive system of behavioral health services and a fervent commitment to the mission-based philosophy of our founding sisters, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet.
St. Mary's at Amsterdam is the largest acute care hospital in the region and is the largest employer in Montgomery County.
The Mission of St. Mary's is "to care compassionately for those we serve with dedication to excellence and Christian ideals." In 2002, St. Mary's became a sponsor of Ascension Health, the largest not-for-profit health care system in the nation. Ascension Health and St. Mary's share the promise of providing healthcare that works, healthcare that is safe and healthcare that leaves no one behind.
The staff at St. Mary's is committed to providing compassionate, ever-improving medical care. Some of St. Mary's recent achievements include:
- Serving the community by being the first hospital in the capital region to offer digital mammography and the first hospital in the region to offer digital MRI
- Developing a totally digital and paperless Medical Imaging Department through the use of a Patient Archiving Communication System (PACS)
- Offering a full range of ambulatory surgery procedures, including capsule endoscopy, orthotripsy and specialized surgical procedures for incontinence
- Providing total joint replacement (bone re-surfacing).
St. Mary's strives to meet and exceed the healthcare expectations of the community. Some of our achievements and advances include:
- Receiving the 2005 NYS Department of Health Safety Award for its medication safety initiatives
- Utilizing a PYXIS medication administration system throughout the hospital
- Installing the only 32-slice CT scanner in New York State outside of New York City.
St. Mary's is dedicated to improving the health of the entire community, with special attention to the poor and underserved. Some of our services include:
- Offering understandable and comprehensive financial options for patients without means to pay for healthcare services, including a 25% discount off of charges for all who are uninsured. St. Mary's also employs a full time enroller for state sponsored insurance facilitation.
- Providing more than $2 million annually in community benefits, including extensive inpatient and community-based behavioral health services and other programs that strengthen families and neighborhoods
- Offering a range of free educational and support services to the community through our coordination of and participation in screening programs, health fairs, support groups and seminars
- Partnering with other programs, such as the Healthy Woman's Partnership and the Greater Capital District Asthma Coalition, for the purposes of community and preventative education
- Providing a Pre-natal Care Assistance Program (P-CAP) with services to uninsured and underinsured women through our Carondelet Family Health Center
- Pursuing a culturally sensitive environment through Spanish language courses for associates with direct patient contact and translation of signage, brochures and medical instructions.
- Sponsoring a "Lifeline System" service for individuals who live alone and may need to summon help quickly.
Rooted in the Healing Ministry of Jesus, we dedicate ourselves to serve all persons with compassion and excellence, especially those who are vulnerable.
Service of the Poor
St. Mary's Hospital at Amsterdam will be a strong Catholic regional hospital dedicated to improving the health of the entire community with special attention to the poor and underserved. Patients, physicians and associates will prefer us because of our reputation for excellence and service, and our commitment to safety and quality.