St.Mary's Hospital and its staff are delighted to be part of the birth of your baby. Because the birth of a baby is a special time many people are interested in taking pictures and videos.
We want you to be aware of Maternity Services policies regarding photography.
You may take pictures before and after the birth of your baby. It is a good idea to discuss ahead of time which pictures you would like taken and which ones you would not. Here are some helpful points for successful recording of these events:
- Bring extra film, digital cards and batteries.
- Cameras must be battery operated- electrical cords present a safety hazard.
- You cannot use a tripod in labor and delivery.
- Phone cameras must be turned off because their signals can interfere with medical monitoring equipment.
- Please ask staff before including them in your photos and respect their decision if they do not wish to be in the picture.
- Ask your support person to take only pictures you will want to have- nothing that will be embarrassing later.
To protect your privacy and so that your family, doctors, nurses and nurse midwives can provide undivided attention to you and your infant during the birth process no videotaping or photography is allowed during the immediate delivery or stabilization of the newborn.
No cameras are allowed in the operating room or during medical procedures.
The birth of a new baby is a special time for a family, as lifelong memories are created. To capture these moments' photos and videos may be taken after delivery and following stabilization of mother and infant.
If you have any questions please ask your nurse, doctor or nurse-midwife.